1. Preach about trees. Psalm 1: The righteous who love the Word of God are like a green tree with deep roots, yielding green leaves and good fruit. The wicked are chaff which the wind drives away. Or preach Messiah from Isaiah 11:1: A shoot will spring from the stem of Jessi, a branch from his roots will bear fruit. Or, preach on the tree of life, Rev.2:7: To him who overcomes, I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the Paradise of God, and Rev.22:14: Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city. Or, preach Christ from Galatians 3:13: Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us– for it is written, “CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO HANGS ON A TREE “.
2. Preach about flowers and grass. Isaiah 40:8: Men are like grass! The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever. Or, Psalm 37:2: They (evildoers) will wither quickly like the grass and fade like the green herb.
3. Preach about who owns the earth. Psalm 24:1: The earth is the LORD’s and all it contains; the world and those who dwell in it.
4. Preach about the worship and glory that is due to the Creator of the earth, waters, the sea, grass, birds, plants and animals. Psalm 104: I will sing praise to my God while I have my being. (Don’t forget v. 34-35.) Or, Rev.14:7: Fear God and give Him glory, because the hour of His judgment has come, and worship Him who made heaven and earth and the sea and the springs of water!
5. Preach about ecosystems. God’s loving abundant spiritual provision for His people. Isaiah 35:1: The wilderness and the desert will be glad… it will blossom profusely and rejoice with rejoicing and shout of joy.
6. Preach that God has decreed that this earth, as it is, be temporary. Isaiah 65:17: For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth…(also Rev 21:1-5)
7. Preach that judgment is coming to the wicked of this earth. 1 Samuel 2:10: Those who contend with the LORD will be shattered…the LORD will judge the ends of the earth.. Or, Isaiah 66:16: For the LORD will execute judgment by fire And by His sword on all flesh, And those slain by the LORD will be many.
8. Preach the TRUTH about the future of the earth. 2 Peter 3:7: But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.
9. Preach Jesus Christ, the Creator and Lord of all. Colossians 1:16: For by Him all things were created; in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible…. all things have been created by Him and for Him. Jesus did not come in the flesh to “save the earth” but to save the lost! Preach the real Gospel, saints of God!
“…that My salvation may reach to the end of the earth.” Isaiah 49:6
Here’s last year’s Earth Day post: How to Celebrate Earth Day
Shall not the JUDGE OF ALL THE EARTH do right!? Gen.18:25
2 Timothy 4:2
“preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.”
The other day I had someone from the Sierra Club canvassing my neighborhood while I was outside doing my gardening. I told him that I was a Christian and that I enjoy creation but I don’t make it the central part of my life, that God would burn it up in the end. He seemed a bit shocked at what I said and just stood there. With mud all over my hands I let him go.
When I got inside I realized that I let him go without giving him the gospel. 😦
Looking back I would have told him how I enjoy creation and that it is such a blessing for us to enjoy and that God also blessed us by sending his son to rescue us from our sin…
I am going to save these verses you have and use for future opportunities that the Lord gives. I want to be ready and preach the Word (Christ).
Be encouraged: you did witness to him. Environmentalism (as Evolution) is currently being offered as a religion, which amounts to (pagan) idolatry. I believe that even delivering one bit of the Truth of God is witnessing. Evangelism though would be sharing the content of the Gospel. You told him the truth about the future of the present earth, as mentioned in #8. (Note the purpose of this as it is taught in the rest of the verse!) So you did witness to him!
It is helpful to understand Jesus’ method of giving Law to the proud and Grace to the humble. Assuming this person is proud in his “atheism” or worship of Earth, next time, see if you can bring up the first and second commandments, which are about worshiping other things as god (idolatry). If a person is not already humble, and convicted of their sin against God, and of the righteousness of God, and of His judgment of sin, they are not ready to hear the gospel. So speaking truth about sin, and God’s holiness and justice, and that He will judge sin in righteousness…. God uses these things to bring conviction of sin. If we talk about “God rescuing us from our sin” before laying this groundwork with a proud person who loves their sin, the person is not ready for the gospel.
I hope this makes sense. What you said is good because that part of that verse tells us that God is in control of all creation, and judgment is coming. You preached judgment! Right on. Many are not willing to preach this truth. So you did represent our Lord to this person. God bless you as you represent our Lord Jesus Christ to those God brings to you.
It might be helpful to listen to Ray Comfort’s teachings, “Hells Best Kept Secret”
because he explains law to the proud and grace to the humble. The law reveals to the proud that we are condemned (without the grace of Christ), and the gospel shows the humble the grace of God in Christ that they may repent and believe on Him.