President Bush said he sees God when he looks into Pope Benedict XVl’s eyes. The Pope’s title , “Vicar of Christ” expresses the Pope’s claim to be the appointed representative of Christ Himself, on earth. That means he is claiming to be standing in the place of Christ, as a substitute. Of course antichrist means “in opposition to”(against), and, “in the place of” Christ. Amazing how he is being treated like a prince by US and UN leaders. They call him “Holy Father”. I don’t hear the man preaching the Deity of Christ or salvation only through Him. I only hear talk of world peace, Communitarianism and Interfaith cooperation.
I remember when Pope John Paul l died, when I was in junior high school. We Catholics mourned his death as if he were our father. I remember feeling incredible loyalty and devotion to Pope John Paul ll, my priests and The Church. My faith was in the Roman Catholic Church, works and sacraments.
Watching the funeral of JPll 20 years after the Lord brought me out of the Catholic Church and into the Kingdom of God, I was amazed to see the near worship of the man, with political dignitaries kneeling before his coffin.
Also in 2005 I got to see the cathedral Duomo in Milan. It was one of the most pagan things I’ve ever seen. As the priest offered up the host in Latin, I observed from the tourist area the huge image of “Mother(goddess) and Child”, the hundreds of prayer candles, the statues of saints which looked like ancient Roman gods, and the focal point: above the altar, a huge stained glass image of the sun, with all it’s rays beaming out. You know, like in Babylonian religion. Roman-Babylonian paganism was blended with Christianity to make a deceiving and attractive mix.
Here is a short comparison list for those who may be unfamiliar with Catholic doctrine. Catholics need to hear the gospel from us. We are Christ’s ambassadors to bring the good news of freedom from the bondage of (pagan) religion and works-righteousness. Right after I was “confirmed”, God used one of His ambassadors to send me a Bible, and through reading the gospel, He opened my eyes so I could see Jesus. God is still saving His lost sheep by His grace.
- Salvation through God vs Salvation through Roman Catholic Church.
- Salvation through Jesus vs salvation through Pope.
- Mediator is Jesus vs Mediator is priest.
- Intercessor is Jesus vs Intercessor is priest.
- Jesus was offered up as sacrifice once, vs Eucharistic Christ offered up as a sacrifice often- every time the Mass occurs.
- Authority is Scripture vs Authority is tradition.
- Salvation through Grace and Faith vs salvation through works.
- Salvation through repentance and faith in Jesus vs salvation through Eucharist, confession to priests, confirmation and other sacraments, not to mention Mary, rosaries, holy water, candles, statues, scapulars, and more.
- Discipleship in the Word vs being a good Catholic.
- Discipleship by teachers and preachers of the Word, vs Mary and the Saints.
- Devotion to Jesus Christ vs devotion to the Roman Catholic Church.
... that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light… 1 Pe.2:9.